Monday, February 20, 2012

Made to Crave: Chapter 1

If she has covered this much in a chapter and an introduction, I can't imagine what the rest of the book will hold. Full of truths and application. I'm only going to highlight a few of the things that stuck out to me but I REALLY would love to hear from those of you who are reading this along with me.... Are you out there?

I have to concur with her when she says that her resolve feels strong until the next time she gets hungry. Unhealthy choices are convenient. I have been craving Sonic Onion Rings like nobody's business. I have yet to give in to that craving, but how many healthy choices are out there, really? Sonic's healthy option is a banana for $1 and the ones that we have purchased have not been ripe. But... if you are out and desperate, it is an option. Sure, there are lots of salads at all the fast food places now, but they put a lot of "stuff" on them to make them taste better. They are your better option, though, honestly.

We crave what we eat. And when we eat sugary-carb filled nonsense, that's exactly what we will crave day after day. How do we break the cycle??? Weight Watchers attempts to address this by making all fruit free of points plus values and most veggies as well. But will that really make us crave a handful of edamame??

And just feeling full isn't the answer either. I have heard of countless stories of lapband and gastric bypass surgeries not being successful because you can eat past them. If we are honest with ourselves, we have to see that for what it is. If we are carrying extra weight around, we have to be real with ourselves. It's not a diet choice, it's an over consumption matter. It's eating when we aren't hungry and making not so great choices when we do eat.

I liked how she talked about cravings, lust of the eye, and boasting as being the three biggies for temptation and sin. We see it in Eve's life and Jesus's life. Even though Jesus didn't give in, those were the tactics that Satan used to tempt Him.

"We consume what we think about. And what we think about can consume us if we're not careful." 'Tis true, 'tis true! I MUST stop thinking about those Sonic Onion Rings dipped in creamy ranch dressing! 13 pointsplus values not including the dressing! Man. Give me some edamame... I guess. :@\

When we are filled with Scripture, we can counter temptation with Scripture - just like Jesus did. Then we can direct our cravings to Jesus. It looks like in the next chapter she is going to go into detail about how to do this. I like practicality, so I'm excited about this!

Let me hear from you! What stuck out to you in this chapter?

post signature

No comments :

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...